Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What's Up 2014


How was everyone's New Years Eve? Mine was pretty uneventful and consisted of a haircut, steak and Boyfriend developing a stomach bug, which I blame on my Ginger Sister for bringing her stomach bug into the house days prior. Boyfriend spent his night playing Call of Duty, while I read Markus Zusak's The Book Thief with a115 pound dog on my lap. We live dangerously, what can I say?

New Years Day was spent walking our giant dogs and relaxing. I'm a fan of holiday traditions, but you can bet your New Years party hat that the smell of pork roast and sauerkraut was not permeating our house. Despite my partial German descent, the mere thought of reeking up my house with cabbage and having to wash a hot dog before consumption is enough to yell "nein! Das ist widerlich!" 

To keep slightly with tradition of good luck New Years pork, I prepared pork served with orzo and asparagus. I cooked the pork, seasoned with garlic powder, salt and oregano, in olive oil. When it was browned, I added sliced grape tomatoes and heated through. 

Meanwhile, I cooked the orzo as directed and just as it was almost cooked completely, added a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach. Once the spinach wilted, I topped it with feta. Ahhh glorious feta cheese! Feta is the only reason that I like this meal and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I save the biggest hunks of it for my plate, but don't tell Boyfriend.


The orzo/feta masterpiece is then added to the skillet containing the pork and tomatoes. I finish it off with a  drizzle of lemon juice and call it dinner. 

I also cooked some fresh asparagus in olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, then drizzled with lemon juice. Simple, but Boyfriend enjoys it quite a bit. Who doesn't love a side dish that alters the smell of his or her urine?


It's not the traditional pork roast and sauerkraut mess that many families consume on New Years Day, but it's my non traditional way of attempting tradition. The tradition of pork, apparently. 

I'm looking forward to beginning some new traditions this year, like eating out more often, seeing friends more often and enjoying life more often. Here's to 2014.

Happy New Year, Folks, and Happy Pork-Influenced Traditions!


No comments:

Post a Comment