Monday, January 13, 2014

Sunday Quiche

Every week as I am crafting my list for Sunday's traditional grocery shopping adventure, I ask Boyfriend "do you have any requests for dinner?" Usually, he responds with normal replies of "maybe chicken Parmesan?" or "how about salmon?" 

But every once in awhile, Boyfriend will smirk when I ask, look pensive, and request a completely random or imaginary meal. He cracks himself up by doing this, while I try to pretend that his suggestion of chicken-cantaloupe-casserole with a side of green bean soufflé is a hilarious notion.

About two-and-a-half years ago, Boyfriend's face lit up with a smirk when I asked for recommendations. He thought long and hard before saying "quiche!" 

I had never even eaten quiche at this point in my life and had certainly never prepared it, but I considered this challenge accepted. I hit the cookbooks and found an easily modified version. Our love affair with spinch bacon quiche was born. 

Boyfriend suggested that we have a nice Sunday quiche yesterday, and I gladly agreed. It had been awhile since we last enjoyed one.  Due to a request via Instagram for a recipe, I'm here to detail the glory that is spinach bacon quiche.

First, I cook six slices of chopped turkey bacon with red pepper flakes until the turkey bacon is cooked.  When this happens, I add a square of (defrosted and squeezed) frozen spinach. I heat the spinach through, stirring to break up the freezer-induced square shape. 


I cheat and use a frozen pie crust a la the Pilsbury Dough Boy. Perhaps someday I'll be ambitious enough to create my own crust, but for now, I continue to poke Dough Boy's belly and use the premade crust. When the spinach is heated, I dump the mixture into the crust.

In a medium bowl, I combine half a cup of cottage cheese, a handful of shredded Swiss, one 16 oz carton of Egg Beaters (do NOT use the Egg Beaters Egg Whites. I tried this once with terrible results), a few sprinkles of salt, pepper, oregano and paprika. I adore paprika, so it usually go a bit overboard there. 

I mix this all together, pour it into the crust and place the quiche into the oven set to 350 degrees.


I check the quiche about forty minutes in by inserting a butter knife into the center. If it comes out clean, you are almost ready to devour. After the middle is set, I allow the quiche to sit for 10 minutes before  slicing a piece. Boyfriend and I like to eat our quiche with sour cream, but that's just our preference.

Last night's was one of my better quiches, or perhaps it seemed that way because it had been so long since our last quiche dinner. Either way, it was delicious and continues to serve as a warning that any and all dinner request challenges may result in actual dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment