Monday, December 30, 2013

It's Monday

Today is the final Monday of 2013 and rather than living it up "I am going to gorge myself like a heathen until 11:59 p.m. tomorrow" style, I actually prepared a healthy meal. 

On second thought, if we're going to form a creepy online but never really meeting in-person relationship, I need to be upfront with you.  I don't eat vegetables. Lettuce makes me dry heave and I have vomitted upon puting a mere spoonful of peas into my mouth (this was in the 3rd grade, but some things just aren't easily forgotten). So when I say that I made a healthy, vegetable-filled meal, I mean that I made it for Boyfriend while I had brown rice and chicken. 


This evening, Boyfriend feasted upon brown sugar salmon fillet, mushroom rice and snow peas- carrot juillienne. 



I started by cooking brown rice in chicken broth, rather than water. While the rice cooked, I mixed one tablespoon of melted butter with brown sugar and a few globs of honey (I use only scientific measurements, obviously). When this melted together, I whisked in a few splashes of soy sauce (low sodium), salt and pepper, then poured it over the salmon fillet waiting nicely in a foil-lined baking dish. Baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and bam...one happy Boyfriend. (I don't eat fish either... I know, I know. Why do I even write about food?).



While the salmon baked, I heated a skillet, added butter and stir- fried the snow peas for about five minutes before adding the carrots and two cloves of minced garlic. The stir-frying continued until everything was crispy, then I added a few globs of honey, salt and pepper, and voila! Happy Boyfriend is happier. Toward the end, I threw the mushrooms in a smaller skillet in chicken broth and cooked them until tender. When the rice was finished, I tossed in the mushrooms with a handful of Parmesan, completing a Monday night healthy feast for a happy Boyfriend.




Unfortunately, I neglected to take a photo of the finished plate before it was devoured, but you get the idea.  We can be healthy leading up to New Years Eve; however, there will be no holding back tomorrow. Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment