Monday, January 6, 2014

The Cleanse - Day One

We are almost through Day One of the Dr. Oz Three-Day Detoxification Cleanse and I must say that I don't feel nearly as hungry as I had anticipated. 

I woke and had green tea for the first time; I was surprised to find that I didn't hate it. Next was the breakfast shake, which wasn't bad. I liked the fruitiness of it, but found the taste of almond butter to be distracting. I couldn't finish the entire thing, but Boyfriend had no problem gulping down the last few swallows. 

I had prepped our lunch and snack shakes the night before, so I grabbed my shakes and made my way to work. I wasn't overly hungry by the time that lunch came, but I was overly hesitant to try the lunch shake.  If you recall, I don't eat vegetables. They make me nervous and they make me gag. This shake is green. I mean BRIGHT green and the consistency is unusual. I pureed the crap out of the celery, cucumber and kale, but the texture was still stringy. 


As for taste, the fruit included couldn't mask the vegetables lurking within. I struggled with this one and couldn't finish the shake within my hour-long lunch break, so I brought it back to my desk. As I took a massive swig of the green stuff, I felt my throat unwilling to accept the shake. I held it in my mouth for longer than normal and forced it down, while my stomach churned.  My co-worker questioned my look of nausea, while I waved him away and tried to avoid eye contact while my stomach was still deciding whether or not to accept this slime as a meal. 

In the end, I did finish the shake and quickly washed the glass to avoid the scent of cucumber and celery permeating my cubicle. This shake was so nauseous to me that I didn't even consider drinking my snack shake.

Boyfriend, on the other hand, guzzled his shakes and texted me midday that he was struggling to focus, struggling to work.... Basically, he was struggling to be alive after a day of liquid. I offered to make him actual food for dinner, but he's a trooper and declined. I was slightly worried about his commute home with an empty belly, disoriented head and in 2 degree weather. 

I had dinner shakes ready by the time that Boyfriend came home. These shakes are mostly fruit with kale and cayenne pepper. Generally, I welcome a touch of spice to my food; however, cayenne and fruit just seems wrong. I would have really enjoyed my dinner shake if it didn't singe my lips off during consumption. 


I failed to finish this shake, but Boyfriend welcomed the extra nourishment to his withering system. I feel fine at the end of Day One. Not fantastically and organically energized nor dying of starvation. 

I'm passing on the bath, too. Whatever I'm detoxing out of my body, I certainly don't want to lay in it in a pool of warm water. I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring similar results for me and some relieve for poor Boyfriend. He simply can't perish... Who would walk the dogs?


No comments:

Post a Comment