Sunday, April 20, 2014

Triflin' Easter

Happy Easter, everyone! 

This weekend was full of family, great food, and perfect spring weather.  Boyfriend and I spent yesterday with my family for a traditional Easter dinner of ham, plus a search for our hidden Easter baskets (that Easter Bunny sure is a tricky).  Today, we spent Easter Sunday with Boyfriend's family and had a tasty brunch of waffles, eggs and mimosas.  

Since we've been attending family holidays as a couple, I always find myself begging boyfriend to ask his mother what I should contribute to dinner.  He usually forgets, but this Easter, Boyfriend made my job easier by requesting a berry trifle, my sort of trademark dessert.  I first made the trifle several holidays ago and it has quickly become a crowd-favorite and especially a Boyfriend favorite.  

This time around, I did not have time to bake an angel food cake, so I cheated and purchased one from the local Giant Eagle.  I begin by tearing the cake into tiny squares and setting them aside until later.  Also, I wash about two cups worth of blackberries, red raspberries and sliced strawberries.  


Then, I beat two cups of heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form.  In another bowl, I beat one cup of cold water with a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk and a teaspoon of pure almond extract, then whisk in 3.4 ounces of instant vanilla pudding mix. I allow this to set for about five minutes, before folding in the whipped topping.


I've made several trifles in my lifetime; however, I must admit that I don't have a trifle bowl... 

I use a glass bowl vase-type thing that I bought from Ikea ages ago, much to the amusement of Stemstar and my family.  Hey, it works just the same, even if it is sometimes used as household decor.

I layer the bottom of the bowl with angel food cake, then pour half of the cream mixture on top.  Then, I add a glob or two of wild berry preserves and spread it around.  Then, I add half if the berry supply and repeat layers once more, ending with berries on top. 


This dessert is honestly pretty simple, especially when you use store-bought angel food cake.  It's light, fruity and is definitely a springtime treat.  Really, all that needs said is this dessert is triflin'. 





No comments:

Post a Comment